The Scottish Press Awards seek to encourage and promote high standards of journalism and to recognise professional skills.
- Journalists and photographers working for print and/or digital newspapers and magazines published in Scotland.
- Scottish-based journalists and photographers producing work exclusively on Scottish affairs for non-Scottish print or online publications.
Entries must have been published between 1st January and 31st December 2022
Fee: £24 (£20 plus VAT) per entry
Payment to be received along with your completed entry from by the closing date of Thursday, February 2
Methods of payment;
By Bank Transfer – Royal Bank of Scotland, 2 Bernard Street, Edinburgh EH6 6PY | a/c Name: Event Consultants Scotland Ltd | Sort Code: 83-24-18 | a/c No: 00650551
By Cheque – Payable to Event Consultants Scotland
By Paypal – To make payment via Pay Pal – please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details
Payment must be made by the deadline to qualify.
Please reference your full name when making payments
HOW TO ENTER:
Entries are to be submitted electronically except where stated otherwise. Digital entries must have live links on the entry form.
If the live links are behind a paywall or require membership please provide details how judges can access them and they must be available at the final judging in May. It is preferred that you also send pdf versions of the live links.
By Dropbox – If you wish to add your files into the Scottish Press Awards Dropbox folder, please email email@example.com to request permission to share
By We Transfer – To send files via We Transfer, please follow the steps on the We Transfer website. It is important that you follow up with an email letting the team know that these files have been sent.
By Email – please email your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that emails with attachments over 6MB size will not be accepted by our server.
PLEASE NOTE – All emails are acknowledged by Event Consultants Scotland, so if you haven’t heard from us we haven’t received your entry. Please get in touch!
All entries should be emailed to submitted as above no later than Thursday, February 2
- Each category is open to individual journalists only, with the exception of Front Page, Journalism Team, Campaign and Weekly/Sunday Newspaper of the Year categories.
- An entry is defined as an entry form plus THREE articles (unless otherwise stated in the category criteria i.e. Photographer, Campaign and Journalism can enter more than three).
- Each article attached to an entry must be submitted as ONE ATTACHMENT. We cannot accept multiple attachments or merge them on your behalf. Each article must be submitted in the way you want it to be seen by the judges. Please merge files before entering.
- The Local categories are specifically for small print or online publications serving distinct communities, such as traditional weekly newspapers.
- The Regional categories are for journalists working in larger regional daily or city-wide publications and websites.
- All entries must be approved by the entrant and the editor of at least one publication (in the case of entries submitting articles/photographs from different publications). We can accept an editor’s signature on your entry form or an email from the editor approving your entry. Entries without either will not qualify.
- Judges may, at their discretion, transfer a submission from one category to another if appropriate.
- Articles must be written in the English language.
- If a submission does not adhere to the rules, it will be subject to disqualification at the discretion of the judges. The judges’ decision is final.
- The number of entries per category is unlimited; however the number of shortlisted entries per category will be limited to two per title.
TIPS FOR ENTERING THE SCOTTISH PRESS AWARDS
To help us log and save your entries as efficiently as possible, we would be grateful in you could follow these guidelines when preparing each entry;
SAVING YOUR ENTRIES
- Please save your entry as follows:
If you are entering as an individual please save the folder by your surname, followed by your first name
example; Mathieson, Susan
If you are entering as a publication (i.e. Front Page) please save it as the name of the publication
Supporting articles should be provided as pdf files and saved as Art1, Art2, Art3 and must correspond with the Entry form
If there is more than one page in the supporting article, these must be merged into one file, in order of how it should be read
- Photographs should be saved as full colour jpg files and named in order as Pic1, Pic2, Pic3 etc. For the accompanying cuttings, please save as Pic1a, Pic2a etc.
- You are encouraged to send a supporting statement with your entry.
- Please save your entry from as Entry Form
HARD COPY ENTRIES – only if you are unable to send them electronically
We will accept hard copies of entries only if you cannot send them electronically for the following two categories only along with a supporting statement for both:
Weekly Newspaper of the Year
- Please send us one set of three non-consecutive issues (i.e. 3 hard copies in total) – we need to send them out and rotate them around several judges. Please also provide a 500 word supporting statement from the editor.
Daily and Sunday Newspaper of the Year
- Please send us one set of three non-consecutive issues (i.e. 3 hard copies in total) along with your 500 word supporting statement by the editor.
COMPLETING THE ENTRY FORM
We use the entry form to ensure we have received all of the correct articles/pictures and to check that the criteria have been met (e.g. article published within the qualifying date range/Young Journalist 25 or under at the time of publication). We also check every form for the entrant and editor’s signatures.
- Please complete the entry form in full, including listing the articles/pictures submitted.
- If you are entering Journalism Team or Campaign, please provide a name/description for your story/series/campaign.
- If you cannot get an editor’s signature, please ask them to email us with their approval of your entry.
ALL ENTRIES WILL BE ACKNOWLEDGED TO THE PERSON WHO SENDS THEM – THEREFORE IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE WORD AN ENTRY HAS BEEN RECEIVED, PLEASE CHECK WITH OUR ADMINISTRATION TEAM ON 07774 685973 or email email@example.com
You can download these details here